Sunday, May 17, 2009

Four Winds Farm heirloom seedling sale

Photo courtesy of Four Winds Farm
Friday afternoon, I took the opportunity to run down to the Four Winds Farm at 158 Marabac Road in Gardiner, NY for their annual heirloom seedlings sale. Every year, on the third Friday and Saturday of May, Four Winds Farm, certified organic by the Northeast Organic Farming Association of NY, provides a large selection of started heirloom plants for sale. Everything is very reasonably priced: most varieties are available in 4-paks for $4 with some varieties offered as 1-paks for $2. Even though I start lots of heirloom plants from seed at home, I like to go to this seedling sale to find out about and try new varieties. Also, Four Winds' seedlings are weeks ahead of mine in terms of growth so I pick up some of their started plants just because I know they'll be producing before mine.

Friday was a gloriously sunny day making the drive down to Gardiner especially pleasant. I was in a benevolent mood after, along with another concerned motorist, successfully helping an ungrateful snapping turtle cross a very busy Rte 32 between Tillson and New Paltz. When I arrived at Four Winds, overflow cars were parked out on the road and plant-laden customers were making their way down the dirt drive from the orchard above where they had bought their seedlings. I decided to wait a couple of minutes while the young fellow at the foot of the drive used a walkie-talkie to let some cars out so I could drive all the way up to the orchard and park there.

Once out of the car, I walked by the woman selling maple products out of the back of her van and the cage full of brown runner ducklings for sale ($12 for one; $20 a pair) -- I wisely resisted the urge to buy a couple as birthday gifts for Linda but it was tough, they were mighty cute -- to rows of tables with hundreds of started plants: herbs, cukes, tomatoes, peppers, melons, eggplants, kales, lettuces. Alongside dozens of other prospective gardeners, I strolled a couple of times up and down the rows of plants admiring things before grabbing a cardboard carton and loading it up (twice!) before checking out. Here's what my $64 got me:

4 Pride of Wisconsin melons
4 Rocky Ford melons
8 Jimmy Nardello's peppers
4 Cubanelle peppers
4 Ancho/poblano peppers
4 Black Beauty eggplants (I goofed and grabbed the wrong 4-pak, I wanted the Rosita eggplants ;-(
4 Marketmore 76 cukes
4 Glacier tomatoes
4 Beams Yellow Pear tomatoes
4 Oregon Spring tomatoes
4 Opalka tomatoes
4 Aunt Ruby's German Green tomatoes (these are very, very tasty green tomatoes, excellent served on top of fresh mozzarella, sprinkled with coarse sea salt, pepper, and just a touch of olive oil)
4 Wisconsin 55 tomatoes
2 Tasty Evergreen tomatoes

Don't ask me where I'll find the room to plant all of these along with my own started plants! I already know I'll be building new beds to try to accomodate everything.

BTW, I've found Jay Armour, who runs Four Winds Farm, to be a really helpful fellow. In the past, when I've emailed organic gardening questions to him, I've always received prompt, useful answers. Besides producing organic vegetables for community supported agriculture (CSA) customers, his farm also provides organic beef, chicken, turkey, duck, and lamb for sale.

No comments: